viernes, 6 de enero de 2012

Restarting ALSA sound drivers without reboot

Have you noticed that Ubuntu sound devices simply stop working sometimes? I recently wired my house with Cat6 and strung a speaker wire from my desktop computer to my stereo so that I can listen to my music through the stereo instead of the computer speakers. But, it does not work out if the sound does not function right! Ok, you need to restart your alsa drivers with the following command.
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
If that does not work, there are still a couple of options and commands to use.
sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
I read a couple of blog posts where users restarted hal. But, I am not sure that restarting the device manager is the best thing to do, as you would need to remount your USB’s and any other peripherals on your system.
If these fixes do not work, it is time to get down and dirty. Using Terminal, find the first listed process and kill them using the following commands.
lsof | grep pcm
kill -9 process-id-number

No hay comentarios: